Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Victory in the little things

Every day that I wake up and realize that I did not have a nightmare is one more victory. 

It seems odd to me that should be a celebration.  Celebrations should be over something monumental, like birth, marriage or graduation, not a night without a nightmare.  But for me, that is what I have come to celebrate. 

Being a survivor of rape does not end when the judge hits his gavel on his desk and calls the next case.  The man who raped me may walk freely, but I do not know that freedom.  I have good days and good nights, but not one day has gone by since Sept 20, 2009 when I do not think about having my freedom stolen from me.

So now, I celebrate the small victories, like sleeping soundly, looking down and realizing I didn't automatically lock the door, not checking every face in every car I pass and not constantly looking over my shoulder at the store.

Every day I wake up is one more victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment